According to an industry study conducted by Rival IQ (vendors of competitive social media analytics software), major brands find that posts experience as much as 8x further reach than stories.
Here’s a breakdown of the statistics:
N.b. note that the statistics are related to account sizes of between <10K followers to >200K followers.
Instagram Post Reach Rate
- Instagram post reach was at its highest in 2020 hitting 25% (and 20% in 2021) for Instagram accounts having less than 10,000 followers.
- Post reach rate then decreases in line with increasing followers for accounts having more than 200,000 experiencing 12% reach in 2020 (and 9% in 2021).
Here’s a short infographic, illustrating what a post reach rate of 25% would look like in practice:
Simple enough to follow, but does a good job of interpreting the numbers.
Instagram Story Reach Rate
- Instagram story reach was at its highest in 2020 with only 6.2% (by comparison to the equivalent post reach rate of 25%) for Instagram accounts having less than 10,000 followers. In 2021, the story reach rate for accounts with less than 10,000 followers was 5.4%.
- Story reach rate then also decreases in linear fashion like with post reach rate with accounts having increasing followers.
- Accounts having more than 200,000 experienced 1.5% reach rate in 2020 and 1.2% in 2021.
Which reaches more?
Posts according to this study reach more of your audience.
One factor is that they don’t expire and are typically have a longer shelf-life i.e. not related to a scarce or promotional business offer.
However, whilst reach factors in breadth. Engagement indicated depth i.e. how well absorbed the message was and valued. Higher engagement increases the likelihood of commercial endpoint like a lead submission or sale.
But ideally, you need a health mix of both reach and engagement to have a successful and thriving Instagram sales funnel.